You are Here:
Official Hurricane Harvey / Houston Thread

Author (Read 5284 times)

Re: Texas Hurricane Thread
« Reply #50 on: Aug 22, 2020, 08:42:40 am »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
^^^ Corpus actually got hit pretty bad, but the media doesn't give half a shit about Corpus.

Anyway, here we go folks. SE Texas is in the crosshairs. Looking more like a rain event, but you never know with tropical storms. (depression, tropical storm, hurricane, high tides even) I'll be here.

Last Edit by Gladstone
"Castles made of sand, slips into the sea, eventually." - Jimi Hendrix

Re: Official Hurricane Harvey / Houston Thread
« Reply #51 on: Aug 22, 2020, 02:50:09 pm »

EvadingGrid

• Rat Catcher (retired)
  • Administrator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
;D

Last Edit by Gladstone
We are all running on Gods laptop.
The problem is the virus called the Illuminati.

« Reply #52 on: Aug 22, 2020, 03:49:33 pm »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
Surf is up ?
;D

High surf brof

.SE Texas

Wind changed last night, Stickin' to it.

Last Edit by Gladstone

« Reply #53 on: Aug 25, 2020, 07:28:21 am »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
Welp. Sitting here crossing my fingers 'cause God's gonna do what God's gonna do. That sonofagun could turn either way any minute. Be back later alligators

Last Edit by Gladstone

« Reply #54 on: Aug 25, 2020, 09:57:17 am »

EvadingGrid

• Rat Catcher (retired)
  • Administrator
  • Mega InfoWarrior

The entire country is panic mode, well, according to the Daily Mail its Armageddon Days.  ::)

Last Edit by Gladstone

« Reply #55 on: Aug 26, 2020, 12:40:16 am »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
We got 40mph winds forecast.

The entire country is panic mode, well, according to the Daily Mail its Armageddon Days.  ::)

I think i'm gonna be spared the worst, but I'll get some good gusts. The way it's going right now, I'll get some clinking, but not banging. Now, where the hurricane is gonna hit according to the media, will be hit by an earth bomb. It'll be bad where it hits. ...

I'll tell everybody this forever, you won't understand a hurricane til you've been in one. Get ready for hours of intense wind, rain, and storm surge. And the green flashes on the horizon aren't lightening...  8)

Last Edit by Gladstone

« Reply #56 on: Aug 26, 2020, 07:22:40 am »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
Christ almighty. It's a monster. Pray for those staying on the shore.

Last Edit by Gladstone

« Reply #57 on: Aug 26, 2020, 08:57:43 am »

2Revolutions

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
Christ almighty. It's a monster. Pray for those staying on the shore.

Praying for you and all in its path.  2020 has been a year for the history books.  Please check when you can to let us know if you doing ok.

Last Edit by Gladstone

« Reply #58 on: Aug 26, 2020, 03:35:36 pm »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
Praying for you and all in its path.  2020 has been a year for the history books.  Please check when you can to let us know if you doing ok.

Last Edit by Palmerston

So far so good. I think I'll be aright where I am, but everyone says it a million times, you never know with these things. First band came in around noon. Heavy tropical rain and a good rainstorm wind. Now, no wind, mostly cloudy, some sun, and humidity you could cut a knife through.

I was close to the bay earlier. No massive traffic lines at all. Didn't see any boarded up windows. Some people have definitely left, but every one is cool enough at the moment. I caught a bit more traffic on I-10 yesterday heading west, maybe comparable to a pre-covid day. No real traffic problems at all to report.

Last Edit by Gladstone

Re: Official Hurricane Laura Thread
« Reply #59 on: Aug 26, 2020, 04:02:03 pm »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
Live stream from Murdoch's Pier in Galveston. On the seawall. The pier in view over the water is the Pleasure Pier.

Murdoch's didn't make it through hurricane Ike... Neither did the 10-or-so story hotel that used to sit on the Pleasure Pier. The Flagship Hotel (  :P )

-----------

Scratch that, Washington Post cut the stream. Here, local news will keep this one on... This is west, on the other side of the Pleasure Pier from Murdoch's Pier...

Last Edit by Gladstone

« Reply #60 on: Aug 26, 2020, 04:04:16 pm »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
^^^ That view will tell you how bad the major population areas west of the storm (at the moment) are being hit.

Sorry if I hog a bit the next 24 hours. This stuff fascinates me.

Last Edit by Gladstone

« Reply #61 on: Aug 26, 2020, 04:45:50 pm »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
The wind is starting. Easy breezes, no where near bad, but that's how it starts and it was dead air two hours ago. I can almost guarantee I'll lose power. I will be able to take pictures of the sunset and post them here regardless. Truly amazing stuff, every time.

I'll leave it there for now and enjoy what power is left. Poseidon out  8)

Last Edit by Gladstone

« Reply #62 on: Aug 26, 2020, 06:45:58 pm »

EvadingGrid

• Rat Catcher (retired)
  • Administrator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
I think i'm gonna be spared the worst, but I'll get some good gusts. The way it's going right now, I'll get some clinking, but not banging. Now, where the hurricane is gonna hit according to the media, will be hit by an earth bomb. It'll be bad where it hits. ...

I'll tell everybody this forever, you won't understand a hurricane til you've been in one. Get ready for hours of intense wind, rain, and storm surge. And the green flashes on the horizon aren't lightening...  8)

Last Edit by Palmerston

I agree, you can study hurricanes, you can watch them on tv, but unless you've been in one you just don't know.

Last Edit by Gladstone

« Reply #63 on: Aug 26, 2020, 11:50:48 pm »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
I agree, you can study hurricanes, you can watch them on tv, but unless you've been in one you just don't know.

Last Edit by Palmerston

I've made it. Houston has made it. I've been breathing a huge sigh of relief for about two hours. Slight northeasterly wind, clear non-humid air, the moon was out (setting soon), and you can make out the cloud trajectories and cloud bands from here; although it's mostly clear, you can make out the clouds connected to the hurricane 200 miles east.

Me and mine have dodged a bullet. I'm glad that I won't be reporting conditions, but I'm always at the ready. Global Gulag forever! YEA! lol

This is the perfect storm. Forget whatever movie told you that before. This is grade A hurricane. Pray and help those people getting hit by this if you can. I might've only seen a couple (2) hurricanes like this in the gulf in my life.

A couple of gripes; if anyone is still interested in this storm, look at Louisiana on a map. See the state border line in the south along the Gulf of Mexico? That line is political. It determines the distance to international waters. The point is, there is no southern line Louisiana can really be defined with. It's grass, water, mud, sand, estuaries, riverbeds, swamps, trees, alligators, and fan boats. So no yankee has any clue what he's looking at when the storm is "hitting the coast" ... lol

I'm almost done for the night, but there's more to this whole thing...

« Reply #64 on: Aug 27, 2020, 12:15:30 am »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
I'll start with this. The weatherman points at a disturbance in the gulf and says, "Ah yea we don't have to worry about this one." That's when you pay more attention to that storm they pointed to. That didn't happen this time. They did actually get it right, but Harvey was blown off at first by the weathermen.

Another, I watched some weather channel tonight. They had a guy talking about how possibly 6 inches of rain could add to storm surge. ...
No. That's called, a drop in the ocean. Because the ocean is literally at your door. That is what storm surge is. It's the ocean itself and any meteorologist along I-10 can tell you that. So you got this yankee adding that one extra fear piece in there. Who can really keep track of all the fear pills they insert?

« Reply #65 on: Sep 03, 2020, 12:52:21 am »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
I'll be making a report on damage from hurricane Laura in far east Texas tomorrow, or by the weekend. Goin' in.

Last Edit by Larry

« Reply #66 on: Sep 10, 2020, 09:38:20 pm »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
So I missed my deadline. Shoot me.

It's bad out there in Louisiana. I know because I made it right to the Sabine River last week. I took 73/87 east. I didn't notice the damage at first. Then I crossed the bridge into Bridge City, TX and the first traffic light was out. Those were a few very eerie minutes waiting to get through the light. I started looking around and went halfway into a flashback. I saw the signs blown down, the missing roof shingles, the debris pushed to the side of the road; I had never been there before and they have these crooked street lights (which I came to figure out were designed that way) that were really throwing me off. It's still different to remember vividly then from actually being back in an area just affected by a storm like this. It really got to me. But that was just the first town.

Farther down 73/87, there's another bridge that takes you into Orange, TX. As soon as I hit the other side of that bridge, it was about twice as bad. An old building off its foundation, a wing of a church gone, parts of roofs laying on top of other roofs, dead tree branches (feet in diameter) cut up and laying along every road. Mind you, I never even made it to Louisiana.

I got to my destination, a nursing home. It had taken rising water and water through the roof. No one was there except a restoration crew taking everything out. I don't know about the building itself, but everything else was a total loss. The crew was great though, this stuff is a science. There was no power. They brought one or two industrial sized generators, wired the whole building through the hallways, set up a temporary air duct for air circulation, and we all helped each other when we could. These people in Orange didn't get so lucky with the weather; as in, yes they had a hurricane, but with the power out and holes in half of the roofs around town, the air was dead, 95+ degrees for most of the day, and absolute humidity. The kind of air that makes you pour water through your skin (the term sweating alone, doesn't do it justice.) The hurricane I went through, without power afterward, I got lucky, a cool front blew through a day later.

On my way out, I saw a man walk out of his house next door with a shoe in his hand and tarp over his roof. He tipped that shoe over and it was full of water. Only losing the entire house is worse than that, which I'm sure so many people had happen to them in Louisiana. I crossed the first bridge after another surreal drive through Orange. I noticed the design of the wiring box on the crooked street lights in Bridge City (whew, that really tripped me out.) And then I crossed the big bridge back into no man's land east Texas where I noticed damage this time, albeit much lighter than back over those bridges. If this storm had hit just 50 miles to the west, you'd hear a lot more about it on the news and I might not have been able to post this right now. I know it's bad in California at the moment, but keep west Louisiana in mind. They will be forgotten. Just like Alabama with Hurricane Katrina.

Last Edit by Larry