You are Here:
Galveston, TX keeps Confederate Statue

Author (Read 5766 times)

Galveston, TX keeps Confederate Statue
« on: Aug 30, 2020, 12:16:26 am »

poseidonlost

• Global Moderator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
Major victory for America, Texas, and general freedom.

Civic honor includes honor for Americans who you believe may have been on the wrong side. I question Commissioner Holmes' sense of honor.

Confederate statue in Galveston County will stay put — for now

Brooke A. Lewis Aug. 24, 2020 Updated: Aug. 24, 2020 7:08 p.m.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Confederate-statue-in-Galveston-County-will-stay-15511484.php

Galveston County apparently won’t be following the lead of cities and counties that have removed Confederate statues from public places — at least for now.

At a meeting Monday, County Commissioner Stephen Holmes made a motion to remove the statue from in front of the courthouse, but it died when no other commissioner seconded his motion.

“The one thing I think we should agree upon is that the courthouse square is a place that is reserved for civic honor, and to have that statue in the middle of our courthouse square is not indicative of civic honor,” said Holmes, a Democrat and the court’s only African American member. “Because if we have something on the courthouse square that causes dissension and divides people, it clearly states that it’s not appropriate to be in the place where it is.”

The “Dignified Resignation” monument, which includes a statue of a returning Confederate soldier, has stood in front of the Galveston County Courthouse since 1911. A plaque from the Galveston Veuve Jefferson Davis chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy praises the “purity of motives, intensity of courage and heroism” of Confederate soldiers and sailors.

In recent months, Galveston native Isaac Fanuiel IV and others with The Galveston Monument Project have pushed to have the statue removed from the courthouse grounds. Protesters covered it with a white sheet during a recent celebration of Juneteenth, the state holiday marking the day in June 1865 when a Union general read an order in Galveston stating that slaves were free.

Before another county commissioner had the opportunity to second Holmes’ motion to remove the statue Monday, Galveston County Judge Mark Henry asked Holmes where it should be moved to.

“Judge, I think we have to cross the first step, before we get to the second step,” said Holmes. “If you don’t agree that it’s wrong to have it in that place, then there’s nothing I can say to change your mind. If we can’t get past the fact that it should be removed, we can’t decide where to move it to.”

No other commissioner spoke after Holmes made his plea for the statue to be removed.

[continues...]
[emphasis added]
"Castles made of sand, slips into the sea, eventually." - Jimi Hendrix