Star Trek: Homelessness SANCTUARY DISTRICTS and the Bell Riots

Author (Read 550 times)

Equal Opportunities Customer.

• Sr. InfoWarrior
  • "One of these days I'm gonna cut you into ..."

Last Edit by Gladstone
"Courage mounteth with the occasion."
King John Act 2, Scene 1.

"I laid down on the floor and played real good possum; You know I'm crazy but I ain't real dumb."
David Crosby: 'Cowboy Movie'.

Equal Opportunities Customer.

• Sr. InfoWarrior
  • "One of these days I'm gonna cut you into ..."
Jake Cisco: 'I'm human I don't have money.'

Nog: "It's not my fault your species abandoned currency based economics in favour of some philosophy of self-enhancement."

Jake: "Hey; --- Watch it! There's nothing wrong with our philosoppy. We work to better ourselves & the rest of humanity."

Nog: "What does that mean, exactly?"

Jake: "It means; ... it means, we don't need money."

Nog: "Well, if you don't need money, then you certainly don't need mine, heh."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Cisco's son Jake has to take to emotional bribery to extract Nog's money, to purchase
a baseball card from a Doctor Giger, the eccentric and plainly nutty professor working
covertly in a backroom in the habitat-ring, on a "Cell rejuvenation & entertainment centre".
So it's probably all a sardonic, satirical take on what happens when you give up a hard-won culture.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Star-Trek, says Brannon Braga: likes to incorporate a take on things & themes actually happening in our world. Including in ENT (~ Enterprise); even if not deliberate, certain obvious references to 9/11 which occured during the making of the 1st-Season. The Xindi-attack on Earth which begins in and occupies the entirety of Season 3. The truly great merit of ST, is that so many serious issues are dealt with by the addition of sharp humour. People who take themselves way too seriously, find Star-Trek unbearable.

In ST ENT ~(Enterprise) which is based around a hypothetical year 2150, very early on, well before Kirk ...
Money is mentioned in conversation by The Enterprise's Engineer Trip (The 3rd) Tucker, as if it still exists.
Then in DS9, which is set in the 24th century, 24C, money has been abolished and Global Government enforces 'self-improvement'.
Nonetheless, money is very occasionally mentioned in hindsight from this point;
aka VOY ~(Voyager), but rarely I think, typically during gambling but with tokens.

Money is a tool, and Americans can legitimately refer to The Greenback or dollar as 'Green-Energy' permitting personal goals.

Last Edit by Gladstone
"Courage mounteth with the occasion."
King John Act 2, Scene 1.

"I laid down on the floor and played real good possum; You know I'm crazy but I ain't real dumb."
David Crosby: 'Cowboy Movie'.

Re: Star Trek: Homelessness SANCTUARY DISTRICTS and the Bell Riots
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2020, 12:35:56 pm »

Ye Olde Powder Monkey

• Sr. InfoWarrior
  • Battling the soul-less minions of orthodoxy.
    • Flying Monkeys Denied DOT COM
The Dominion Fleet is here; so some 'anti-social distancing' is called for.
Me and the Pig are taking a vacation to Starbase 322 on a NASA voucher,
and then piggy-backing on a Space-X Tesla rocket to Mars Colony for the next 18-months.
If you need us back as Katorzhane (inmates) in Katorga (Gulag); send a subspace PM.
See you on the other side ... hilk ... hilk (beep, beep!).

Grateful Dead - Truckin' - with lyrics

Last Edit by Gladstone