You are Here:
“Climategate” Email Hacking was Carried out from Russia? RUSSIAN MEDDLING AGAIN?

Author (Read 211 times)

Ye Olde Powder Monkey

• InfoWarrior
  • Battling the soul-less minions of orthodoxy.
I'm not buying this one. So it could hold some weight.
The tracking of a Russian based URL to the UEA 'ClimateGate' e-mails Cyber-hack.

https://medium.com/@iggyostanin/exclusive-climategate-email-hacking-was-carried-out-from-russia-in-effort-to-undermine-action-78b19bc3ca5a

"In 2009, the publication of emails stolen from the UK’s University of East Anglia made headlines across the world. It sparked a scandal dubbed “Climategate” by global warming skeptics. To this day, some critics see the emails as evidence of a conspiracy to dupe the public into believing in human-caused climate change.
Multiple investigations cleared the scientists of wrongdoing, but the false allegations proved enduring. Donald Trump publicly called on world leaders to tackle global warming just prior to the “Climategate” affair, but became skeptical of climate change after the story broke."

"The identity of the hackers has remained a mystery despite the efforts of law enforcement and journalists. It can be revealed for the first time that evidence points to the Russian city of Ekaterinburg.

Clues had been inadvertently hidden within the scientists’ emails all along. Whoever released the hacked messages put each message in a text file and used a peculiar system to name each of these files.

The names were generated through Unix Time — a system that counts seconds elapsed since the first of January 1970 in UTC.
This meant that each individual file in the email bundle had a name consisting of a number, the more recent the email, the higher the figure. This ordering system was likely used out of convenience, as it easily allows the sorting of the emails in chronological order making the messages easier to follow."

"What the hackers failed to realize is that along with the sender, recipient and subject line, every emails they published contained the time and date they were sent, true to the in the UK time zone."

"Crucially, when Unix Time file names are decoded there is a mismatch — the system clock of the computer used to handle the hacked files was five hours ahead of the UK. This places the computer in a time zone that spans countries including Pakistan and Uzbekistan, and a strip of Russia that includes the city of Ekaterinburg. Other evidence uncovered as part of this investigation hones in on the capital of Russia’s Ural region.

The stolen emails were released to the public in 2009 and 2011, each timed around a major climate summit. Both times, the “Climategate” hackers uploaded their findings to what were ostensibly public file sharing services that could have been used by anyone. In reality, they were obscure Russian websites with public file sharing functions.

The registration records of the website used to release the second batch of emails in 2011 server was originally registered to an employee of the Ural region Federal University in Ekaterinburg"

web registration from the “climategate” site sinwt.ru

COMMENTS:
web registration from the “climategate” site sinwt.ru
The URL SINWT.RU still today, 11 yrs later, belongs to a computer buff in Russia (aren't we all?)
The mathematical form of Sinωt in the name, references time & frequency domains as in oscillations as used in calculating the period of Foucaults Pendulum or any oscillating system; using Radians sec⁻¹.
Foucault's pendulum, I note, purely coincidentally, according to Wikipedia: is a simple device designed to demonstrate the rotation of our Earth. Also the title of a very thick book by Umberto Eco (I used to have it).
"The satirical novel is full of esoteric references to Kabbalah, alchemy, and conspiracy theory." —
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault's_Pendulum

Some suggest the book, 'Foucault's Pendulum' which I think the URL shows harmony with, refers to Micheal Foucault, who Noam Chomsky described after a TV debate with Foucault, as:
"I liked him personally, it's just that I couldn't make sense of him. It's as if he was from a different species, or something."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Foucault#Social_constructionism_and_human_nature
"Foucault's theories primarily address the relationship between power and knowledge, and how they are used as a form of social control through societal institutions."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Foucault

The current domain name owner does indeed seem to be the very same DNS registrant, as at the time of the 'ClimateGate' hack, according to WHOIS/IP lookups.
I can only tell that this domain currently belongs to a keen computer user ...

REFERENCES:
Blame It on the Russians:
Tracking the Portrayal of Russian Hackers during Cyber Conflict Incidents
https://digitalicons.org/wp-content/uploads/issue04/files/2010/11/Karatgozianni-4.9.pdf
From: https://www.digitalicons.org/issue04/tracking-the-portrayal-of-russian-hackers-during-cyber-conflict-incidents/

"The Climategate hack case, on the other hand, has sociopolitical
and economic aspects, as it is an issue that is global in nature in terms of content.
However, the Climategate case also points to ethnic and national issues in the coverage, as
geopolitical narratives involved the main protagonists in the Climategate debate and the actual
groups blamed for the hack
."

Last Edit by Gladstone
Curator of the 'Plumbo-Jumbo' museum.
And re-cycler of pre-loved Minefields.

EvadingGrid

• Rat Catcher (retired)
  • Administrator
  • Mega InfoWarrior
To say this is utter bullshit would be an understatement.

There are not that many e-mail servers that are not Unix based.
It would be surprising if the hack was not on site, at Essex University which has a resident population of Hackers among the students since the 1970s

Changing the system clock is hardly rocket science, most users can do that by bringing up the menu on their desktop system clock.

As for the hosting server being in Russia, so is Ed Snowdon. If anyone is still puzzled why Russia ask Julian Assange... Oh wait a minute, he is in Jail currently awaiting extradition to face the death penalty in "the land of the free" for Journalisim and Whistleblowing....

Last Edit by Gladstone
We are all running on Gods laptop.
The problem is the virus called the Illuminati.

Ye Olde Powder Monkey

• InfoWarrior
  • Battling the soul-less minions of orthodoxy.
No, and what they describe is not as simple as changing the system clock. That's what I thought at first but it's more complex.

I'm a strictly "EVERYTHING IS GODLESS BULLSHIT", man, under these normal circumstances & which I recommend to everyone ...

It means I'll be hearing a lot less from everyone about everything.

The email numbering system and the analysis about how people think ... what trails they leave ... as they conjur up URL's for personal purposes.

In reflection on that. None of it's actual Bullshit. The book I mention by Umberto Ecco. Now that's 125% pure-grade UNREADABLE Bullshit.

Remember, that's what it's all about. The book ventures into The Knights Templar regions ... (who controls the future?) & mentality.

And comes back to the possibility of Russian vs US stand-off (COLDWAR II). What happened to that; and where did that go to after July 7 2005?

... is what I was getting at. You can stick to 'Never-Trumping' whatever the fuck that is. Working-class Cows united against Global-warming perhaps.

Now you can all get back to masturbating for Father Xmas or whatever the fuck it is you people do to keep you out of trouble with the playground Fairies.

Last Edit by Gladstone
Curator of the 'Plumbo-Jumbo' museum.
And re-cycler of pre-loved Minefields.