I need survival help - Started by decemberfellow at PPF

Author (Read 2575 times)

WindyAcres

• Awakened
  I need survival help  - Started by decemberfellow at PPF 

decemberfellow

I need survival help
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:08:36 PM »

I am trying to prepare myself and family for survival until Jesus calls us. I know the basics, i.e. food needs (however would appreciate info on where to purchase freezed dried food.) ok on water, am armed, heat sources  ,( I do have kerosene heaters,) thinking of a pellet stove, will need something to cook on if kitchen unavailable, and a good recommendation for a generator. Plus any info that may be of help. Thank you.

Rev21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Who am I
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Fk6dt_uHo
Offline howard

Re: I need survival help
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »

http://www.solarovens.org/ works off of absolutely no power and can get over 400 deg. just to show you it works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddd8RUtv9VU

efoodsdirect is probably the best place iv found for dehydrated foods. they kinda pissed me off because i found out it has soy after i open the packages.. but other than that its high quality and last a looong time.
when i bought from efoods they sent me an email with this

The following are some items that are both easier and more economical for you to acquire yourself. Amounts are listed per person per year.

Store 30 lbs. of SUGAR or HONEY for each adult. Sugar is heavy and shipping costs are more than it's worth. Buy sugar at any local grocery store. Sugar is self-storing and generally does not spoil.

Store about 100-200 lbs. of whole WHEAT in buckets per adult. Hard white or red winter wheat makes the best flour for bread. Avoid storing flour due to rancidity and infestation. Wheat, like sugar, is heavy to ship; but if you can't find it locally, please call us before your order ships. Shipping costs when shipped with a food supply order are minimal.

Store 2 gallons of COOKING OIL- the same brand and the same size bottles that you are accustomed to using. Unopened cooking oil has about a 2 year shelf life.

Store 10 lbs. of SALT and SEASONINGS in accord with your personal preferences. These are also self-storing.
Store 6 lbs. of RAISING INGREDIENTS-baking powder 2 lbs., baking soda 2 lbs., and dry yeast 2 lbs. Replace these according to expiration dates.

solar/wind generators are overpriced and you wont be able to run much of anything for very long... but if you do decide on it, build it yourself. its very simple and it will be ALOT cheaper.

start an (organic) vegetable/herb garden

have a water collection system set up (rain gutters connected to large buckets/trash cans)

buy a berkey water filter make sure you get the pf1 (basic) and pf2 filters to remove flouride (buy from ebay, you get an extra water bottle)
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BERKEY-LIGHT-Water-Filter-System-w-Bottle-PF-2-/360261925409?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item53e148ba21

and make sure you have plan B!!
put together a Bugout bag for your family incase you need to up an leave!
i pieced mine together or you can buy a kit already made for you
http://www.thesurvivalzone.com/store-products-SB-2-Two-Person-Survival-Backpack_40888017.html

well other than the guns/gold thats all iv done to prepare. good luck

Offline donnay

Live Free Or Die Trying!

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »
A first-aid kit is also good to have ready:

The supplies inside the bag contain:
1 16oz. Skin flushing solution
1 4oz. Eye wash
1 Hand soap
1 6oz. Calamine lotion
2 Lip Treatment
1 Burn spray
1 Instant Glucose
20 pain reliever
20 Ammonia inhalants
1 Blood clotting spray
2 Sam/universal splint
2 Field dressing 11” sq.
4 Field dressing 7.5”x8”
3 Triangular bandages
1 Cervical collar
2 4”x4yds. Gauze roll
3 6” Elastic bdge.
3 4” Elastic bdge
5 4”x4” Sterile pads
6 2x2 Gauze sponges
10 5”x9” Abdominal pads
2 Blood stopper kits
4 Eye pads
100 Bandage strips 3”x1”
20 Butterfly strip
20 Bandage strips 2”x3”
20 Knuckle bandages
3 Instant ice pack
3 Roll of 1” tape
1 Stethoscope
1 Blood pressure kit
2 EMT shears
4 Hemostats
1 SS tweezers
1 SS probe
1 Scalpel handle #3
6 Scalpel blades
1 Pen light
5 Suture set
1 First aid book
6 Safety pins
5 Pair latex gloves
2 Irrigation syringe
20 Triple antibiotic packages
10 Burn aid packages
25 Alcohol wipes
100 Iodine PVP wipes
25 Antiseptic BZK wipes
9 After bite wipes
3 CPR mask/face shield
4 Airways
5 Tongue depressor
5 Lab sponges
2 Combat casualty blanket
Colloidal silver
Oil of Oregano
Black Elderberry syrup (for cough & congestion)
Echinacea with goldenseal (to keep a good immune system)
Potassium Iodide Tablets (in case of nuclear strike--protects the thyroid)
N 95 Mask (flu outbreak)

I am sure the people here could add more to this list...but for now it is a good start.

"Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." ~ Rod Serling
"Cops today are nothing but an armed tax collector" ~ Frank Serpico
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
"People that don't want to make waves sit in stagnant waters."

Offline decemberfellow

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »
Thank You so much and God Bless.
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Who am I
Offline phasma

Have a H.A.A.R.P.Y DAY !

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »
you should have stores at home and also a "bug out " bag in case anything happens nearer home (you never know)

Aim to have a few months worth of food, water, medicines, pet food (if you need it) blankets, clothing and footware (all weather) also a tent - in case you run out of heat ! Large plastic sheets and duct tape (can be used for loads of things from sealing your windows and doors to makeshift shelters to carrying stuff in - you cant have enough - especially tape.
Sanitary equipment - alcohol gels etc because you dont want to waste your water - baby wipes and all that. toothpastes mouthwash - its good o keep yourself clean during times of crisis - its good for morale.
Antiseptics / disinfectants large plastic buckets with tight fitting lids - plus very strong garbage (rubble) bags - if there is no water your toilet wont flush ! Female sanitary products & nappies (diapers?) if req`d.
If you have kids pack stuff for them to do - kids are kids whatever happens - they will get bored.
Candles torches batteries - wind up torches and radios a real definate need.
Pain killers (paracetamol) and other regular stuff.
Rubber gloves
spades, axes, etc etc etc.
Thats off the top off my head, i`ll re add anything else that comes to mind.
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise - Surangama Sutra

Offline decemberfellow

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »
Thank you again. I am open to all tips.  Gold would be a tough one for me , I am not rich, however I have heard that food would be a good bartering tool, does anyone agree?  Also me and family being newly awaken, is there any method to know what is going on?  What for transportation, what year trucks or car would I need that will still run after an electronic or nuclear attack?

Who am I
Offline donnay

Live Free Or Die Trying!

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »
Quote from: decemberfellow on June 08, 2010, 06:23:23 PM

Thank you again. I am open to all tips.  Gold would be a tough one for me , I am not rich, however I have heard that food would be a good bartering tool, does anyone agree?  Also me and family being newly awaken, is there any method to know what is going on?  What for transportation, what year trucks or car would I need that will still run after an electronic or nuclear attack?

Seeds will also be worth more than gold if they keep poisoning our food supplies.

Non-hybrid Organic heirloom seeds.
"To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
Offline howard

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 08:08:33 PM »
i dont think your going to need transportation. when the dollar collapses, gas will be far to expensive for anyone to buy. my plan is to get to my aunts ranch, so ill only be using my car for taking my as far as possible then ditching it if i cant find gas.

survivalseedbank.com is a nice site for non gmo seeds. it comes in a HUGE container with tons of seeds. good for growing food or barter.

if you cant afford gold you should try silver. although this would be one of the last things i  would buy if i was low on funds, but its only about $20 an ounce. the interesting thing about silver is we use it for everyday gadgets and accessories cell phones etc. unlike gold, silver is being constantly consumed. so weather the dollar collapses and drives the price up or it doesnt and we deplete the silver supply, the price of silver has to go up. but iv heard at the rate were going silver would be almost gone by 2020, so the market will have drive up the price so it will just be very expensive instead of going extinct.

Offline phasma

Have a H.A.A.R.P.Y DAY !

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 06:04:03 AM »
I agree - gold is no use - people will want things they can eat / drink/ use - ciggarettes and alcohol would probably be better bargining tools.

Forget travel by vehicle after a massive incident - after a nuke you`ll need to stay in doors anyways.
Save your money to accumulate stuff rather than store money . gold.
when the economy collapsed in russia they were burning money to keep warm !
Store fire wood - if we have a nuclear winter then the power might be off quite a while - fire wood would be useful, keep it covered and dry.
also fire lighters and maybe fuel for lighting it.
Bear in mind storing stuffing outside is dangerous in some ways - in the event of a nuke going off - there will be fall out -this will render anything outside unsafe to handle. try and store stuff in your house - or in a cellar etc.
anyother thing - water purification tablets - or if uyou check out how much you can use normal non scennted house hold bleach. i have read you should rotate your ater keep an eye on the dates of your cans etc
(dried food lasts ages but - if water is a premium then you dont want to waste what you have reconstituting your food - better to store cans - forget what most books state about varied this and that - store foods you like and that you and your family will actually eat !
can`t over emphasise store plastic sheets and thick strong tape to secure your windows and door. If you can affoed it try to by a few ex military NBC (CRNBC) suits - if there was a nuke  after a while you will be able to go out - if you wear one of these suits you`ll be safe for a hour or two. Also you`ll need a thick rubber boots, thick military spec gloves and a gas mask with a few spare canisters - atleast if you have this you can go out to get further supplies etc
(make sure you set up a decontamination area though before you come back into your home).

Offline domestic.terrorist

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »
Quote from: howard on June 08, 2010, 08:08:33 PM

survivalseedbank.com is a nice site for non gmo seeds. it comes in a HUGE container with tons of seeds. good for growing food or barter.

hometownseeds.com is a far better deal. Don't waste your money when you don't have to.

Offline gperserverance

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
1st Do NOT go into debt
2nd Knowledge is most important
3rd Know that everything you have awakened up to is true.

Things I have learned about and find most useful

wild edibles/herbs
activated charcoal
survival skills
I am responsible for my own health and well being

Offline seven_deviations

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 02:15:16 AM »
If Jesus is coming for you, why prepare?  Just die early on and you get to meet him sooner.
Offline seven_deviations

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 09:24:46 PM »
  Seriously, isn't the point to help others?  Organize with your neighbors and your community.  Prepare an emergency response group.  Get some CB radios to communicate with them.  Show up with food and water and pass it out to those in need.  Set up contact networks so people can leave a message for loved ones if they have to leave the area.  Locking yourself in a bunker and dying alone isn't any fun.  Isn't it better to have prepared neighbors than to worry about having to shoot them when they try breaking into your house for your food?  Which path would Jesus take?
Offline donnay

Live Free Or Die Trying!

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 11:50:44 PM »
Quote from: seven_deviations on August 17, 2010, 09:24:46 PM

Seriously, isn't the point to help others?  Organize with your neighbors and your community.  Prepare an emergency response group.  Get some CB radios to communicate with them.  Show up with food and water and pass it out to those in need.  Set up contact networks so people can leave a message for loved ones if they have to leave the area.  Locking yourself in a bunker and dying alone isn't any fun.  Isn't it better to have prepared neighbors than to worry about having to shoot them when they try breaking into your house for your food?  Which path would Jesus take?

I think the point of the original post was to ask for tips for networking.  I am definitely for people networking because when TSHTF you need to know who to trust and who not to trust.

Nevertheless, it is easy said than done.  Not everyone is going to be ready, willing, and able to wake up and pitch in.  I, personally have talked to neighbors and some are so dumbed down and brainwashed, they are the ones, I will definitely be looking over my shoulder, if things get down right ugly.

You also have to understand the government is willing to pay people to snitch on those who are self-sufficient and self-reliant.  If someone needs money and is desperate, Uncle Sam is there to print it all out and hand them bags of the monopoly money just to drop a dime on you.

I live on a small farm with lots of other farmers around me, many of them are already awake (Thank God), but you still have a few that are willing to take government subsidies and think government would never do any harm to it's people. There are many who believe that 19 Islamic men are solely responsible for 911 too.  No matter how much evidence you present them, they glaze-over and wave that American Flag--those are the people to be leery of.

I have no problem wanting to help people, but you have to be smart to keep your guard up at all times.

When it comes right down to it, we all have to learn to be leaders!
Offline phasma

Have a H.A.A.R.P.Y DAY !

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »
2nd that Donnay because when TSHTF you know full well all those ppl you tried to wake up will suddenly open their eyes - realise they have done nothing to prepare - and then remember that you told them they should, and likely come to you.

prepare - store extra for family and those you care for - and limit those nearby you tell - especially those who you dont trust.
Offline seven_deviations

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »
  I know what is coming.  But the NWO WANTS us to lock ourselves in our houses and cower in fear.  Then they can deal with folks piecemeal.  They cannot deal with whole groups of people non-violently refusing to go along with the destruction.

You will be surprised how the actions of ONE person standing up to the tyranny has a contagious affect on those around you.  THAT is what I mean by leadership when I try and explain what true leadership is to people.

Offline citizenx

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »
Quote from: gperserverance on July 09, 2010, 02:22:22 PM

1st Do NOT go into debt

Umm, I've heard others say this.

I'm not in debt myself (<1,000 USD in debt).

However, if the whole system collapses, why (other than perhaps moral reasons) should one not be in debt up to one's eyeballs?
Offline phasma

Have a H.A.A.R.P.Y DAY !

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
Quote from: citizenx on August 19, 2010, 07:34:24 PM

However, if the whole system collapses, why (other than perhaps moral reasons) should one not be in debt up to one's eyeballs?

CX has a valid point. One means of sabotage is to drain resources. If people believe the banking system (etc) is corrupt then why not go into debt - huge enormous debt - if everyone did the system would collapse . . . right?
What we need here is a scenario akin to that at the end of fight club (wish it was a simple as takin out one server! lol)
Offline citizenx

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »
I wasn't really saying to do that intentionally to collapse the system --- I think, right now, the system is headed that way itself anyway without my help.  If I could I would prevent it.  A  lot of people are going to be hurt, unfortunatately, if (or when) it does.

What I was asking is why some people are so insistent that people must get out of debt prior to such a collapse?  Is it that they blieve (perhaps rightly) that some sort of debtors prisons will become the norm?  (They are already on the rise again.)  Is there some other reason?

You got me wrong.  I'm honestly just trying to understand where these people are coming from.

Although, honestly for my family's sake, if I knew the whole banking/financial system was on the verge of utter collapse I might at least run up my credit cards.
charrington

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 08:03:42 PM »
Quote from: citizenx on August 19, 2010, 07:34:24 PM

Thats right you'll probably get 3 squares in debtor prison.
Offline citizenx

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »
OK, see, that's what I wanted to know.

But, if the whole system collapses they may be throwing people in prison for many diferent reasons as well.  If it really collapses, they won't be throwing anyone in prison -- just don't owe money to the mob.
Offline foreverfree

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 09:31:21 PM »
when the shit hits the fan, don't underestimate the dangers of roaming gangs.  if you've ever seen the spielberg movie, War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise, the part where they're in the van and get stopped by the mob of people and rushed...yeah, that times 1,000.  If you have supplies, keep it SECRET.  Keep them hidden, in the attic, in the basement, don't let people see you using fuel or eating food. Word WILL get out and your house WILL be rushed by 100 people at once, even your own neighbors.

If you share, make them SWARE to you they won't tell where they got it.  until order resumes, which could be months, expect the worst.  carry multiple concealed weapons.  go watch the movie "The Road" with Viggo Mortensen to get another clue as to what you'll be facing.

Good luck and God bless!
molon labe
Offline donnay

Live Free Or Die Trying!

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 11:07:21 PM »
Addendum to the first aid kit supplies list:

Another good thing to have on hand is Cheyenne pepper either in capsules or in a shaker.  If you are on foot and get a puncture wound that won't stop bleeding you sprinkle a generous amount of Cheyenne in the wound to cauterize and stop the bleeding, it is also an antiseptic.

Another good thing, if someone in your group feels like they are having a heart attack, sprinkle Cheyenne under their tongues (Sublingual) and it will save their life.

Also it is good to have Potassium Iodate to just in case of nuclear FF.
Offline citizenx

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 11:09:31 PM »
Cayenne sounds like it would really sting on a cut -- damn.
Offline donnay

Live Free Or Die Trying!

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 11:12:05 PM »
Quote from: citizenx on August 28, 2010, 11:09:31 PM

Back in the western days, they used to use gun powder and light it.  I will take Cheyenne any day.  ;D
Offline katoomer

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 11:58:22 PM »
I would not get a pellet stove.  Pellets are "manufactured" by large corporations.  They take away the savings of using wood heat. You have to pay them a premium to prepare your "firewood".  The whole idea of a wood stove is to have cheap, reliable, off the grid heat.  Regular ol woodstoves are fine for that. If your house has good insulation you can run the woodstove while you are home and when you are gone the temps will still remain quite warm.

For people who live around the citys.  I think a good idea would be to make a pallet burning stove.  Old pallets are discarded by the hundreds.  I burn them for heat. They are free in many places.  They throw good heat.
Offline donnay

Live Free Or Die Trying!

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 12:05:15 AM »
Quote from: katoomer on August 28, 2010, 11:58:22 PM

I would not get a pellet stove.  Pellets are "manufactured" by large corporations.  They take away the savings of using wood heat. You have to pay them a premium to prepare your "firewood".  The whole idea of a wood stove is to have cheap, reliable, off the grid heat.  Regular ol woodstoves are fine for that. If your house has good insulation you can run the woodstove while you are home and when you are gone the temps will still remain quite warm.

For people who live around the citys.  I think a good idea would be to make a pallet burning stove.  Old pallets are discarded by the hundreds.  I burn them for heat. They are free in many places.  They throw good heat.

I agree with wood stove.  I have a wood stove and when we go out we load it up and bank it down, cut the draft, and it slowly burns and keeps the place nice and toasty.   :)
Offline seven_deviations

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 01:43:19 AM »
  Your options depend upon your location and your situation.  You can build a stove that would burn even corn stocks and other farm waste.  Instead of burning wood directly, you could even build a retort and burn the outgases from the word first and then burn the resulting charcoal.  The charcoal (though not activated charcoal) could also serve to help filter water.  There are a number of youtube videos on how to build a retort.

An other good idea is to start your own seed bank.  This is useful even in peace times now that our food supply has become GMO contaminated.  Purchase some well established heirloom seed varieties touted in trusted gardening books and learn how to save seed from the various plants. (the methods used will vary greatly from plant to plant)
Offline The Apprentice

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 07:39:52 PM »
Quote from: decemberfellow on June 07, 2010, 09:08:36 PM

I am trying to prepare myself and family for survival until Jesus calls us. I know the basics, i.e. food needs (however would appreciate info on where to purchase freezed dried food.) ok on water, am armed, heat sources  ,( I do have kerosene heaters,) thinking of a pellet stove, will need something to cook on if kitchen unavailable, and a good recommendation for a generator. Plus any info that may be of help. Thank you.

There are some very good lists and ideas here but if your near the countryside you might want to learn how to live after the supplies have gone, there are a myriad of ways you can do this, you can catch and domesticate many small animals and rodents that will eat far less than you will from your scraps and give you back valuble protiens.

There is whats called a 10 day window for anyone without a regular supply of callories, 500 per day or less and you will gradually start to go downhill especially in winter and being very active in search for food, I have done many years of research in the armed forces and since and a healthy average fitness male can only last around 12 days without food and shelter, I'm sure there are plenty of survival guides out there, but the only way is to have a go yourself..

Offline The Apprentice

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »
Quote from: citizenx on August 28, 2010, 11:09:31 PM

One of the best fluids for cleaning cuts is your own urine, if you are healthy and free from disease this liquid is sterile when it emmerges, its an old SAS trick when there is a shortage of water around. ;)
Offline Freeski

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »
Quote from: The Apprentice on September 03, 2010, 07:44:38 PM

One of the best fluids for cleaning cuts is your own urine, if you are healthy and free from disease this liquid is sterile when it emmerges, its an old SAS trick when there is a shortage of water around. ;)

That's the gross option.
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Offline The Apprentice

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 09:57:32 AM »
Quote from: Freeski on September 03, 2010, 07:57:52 PM

That's the gross option.

True, but natural is nearly always the best and free at room temprature most of the time  :)
Offline decemberfellow

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2015, 08:39:52 AM »
Bump!!

Who am I
Offline windyacres

2+2=4

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2015, 02:11:50 AM »
I’m writing this offline and hope it pastes right.  It will be a continuation of
Prep/survival help as more things come to mind, or your replies request more
Information, specifics, etc.  I’ll try and get each concern you have all together.
I didn’t see this thread until you pointed it out and also bumped it up or I
Would have replied sooner.    Please ignore the capitalization  errors, this
Word processor is hassling me LOL.

GENERATORS:

Also known as “gennys” .   Most of them now built in
Feature  for “low engine oil shut off”  but some don’t ,  this is important
If you’re running it all night and perhaps didn’t check the oil level.   Also
Gas tank size varies,  the bigger the gas tank you can find the better.   I’m
Finding nowadays the dual function gennys are being replaced with push button
Starters, which make you dependent on a battery.   If you can find the dual function
Starters, the “pull cord” method like on a lawn mower,  this will give you
A 2nd option to start your genny if the battery dies.    Also, get dedicated extension
Cords, beefy amperage ones for your genny.   You need good extension cords.

I would upsize the genny also and make sure it has the option for 220V also on it.
The upsizing is because of “starting watts”  also known as “surge watts”  the initial
Power it takes to start a motor, turn it over and get it going for the first few seconds.
For example, my well pump I need 7,800 surge watts (starting watts) then once the
Well pump kicks on, it’ll drop to 4,800 watts to run it.  I need a genny that has enough
Surge watts, so like for me, an 8,100 “surge watts-starting watts” genny would fire up
The well pump.    Also, this is very important.  The ethanol nowadays in unleaded gasoline
Will eat your genny in about 2 years, if you have a gas station that sells the real supreme
Gasoline, use that in the genny.    Buy some 5 gallon gas containers and mark them.  It’s
Pricey but so is replacing a relatively new genny that got eaten by ethanol.

You can’t beat Honda generators, but they are pricey.  Onan is also a good brand.   However
Finding certain replacement parts, and sometimes standard filters, etc. confine you to one
Store, or mail order for said parts.   Briggs and Stratton that Home Depot, Lowes, etc. sells
They’re very noisy, but not bad for the money.   Plus you can find parts, filters, plugs, etc.
Almost anywhere for them.   

Get a genny that comes with a cart on wheels already with it.  Also get a beefy case hardened
Chain and a trucker’s padlock and if you have to run it over night, chain and secure your genny,
They have a tendency to get stolen in long term power outages.   Keep in mind the exhaust they’ll put off and make sure it can’t drift into your house and carbon monoxide poison you.
Most all gennys these days are built for smooth power delivery, vs. dirty power surges of the
Gennys of past days, so running a t.v., computer, etc.  with a new genny is fine.    When not in
Use, fire up your genny now and then and put it under load to make sure in an emergency it’ll
Work fine for you.    They are built to handle a little bit of rain and snow getting on them, but
Not much, so the genny will have to be under a cover of sorts, like a porch, patio cover.
When you buy one, get a few air filters, oil filters and the specialty oil it takes to keep on hand.

PELLET STOVES:

They take electricity to run and they also use an igniter,  you can get
The gell fluid to manually start the pellets in the burn grate to get it going, but they don’t
Put off really hot heat .   You also can’t cook on them, the tops are almost cool to the touch
For safety reasons and a ton of wood pellets equal 50 each forty pound bags.  It’s a sizeable
Stack.   We have one to baby sit the temperature in the house when the wood stove burns out.

ALTERNATIVE COOKING METHODS:

You can’t beat a wood stove for heating and also
Depending on the style, cooking on.  I have cast iron cookware, and metal trivets for that
Purpose.    Do a search on “rocket stoves”  they’re easy to make out of brick and also
Cinder blocks, they hardly use any wood, the quick hot fire they make you can easily
Cook on them outdoors.  Small sticks, fire fodder, etc. is perfect fuel.   Also a propane
Camp stove makes a good emergency stove to heat food, boil water, etc.   You can
Get a longer hose and a hose adapter to hook into a 5 or 7 gallon propane tank.   Just
Remember though you can’t use them indoors due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
One thing also, in a bad emergency, the smell of cooking food will travel great distances
And others will know you’re cooking, eating food.    I have good thermos’s dedicated
To store hot water to use once boiled.

WATER:

The rule of thumb is one gallon per person per day for drinking, food preparation,
Bathing (spit bath), etc. but in my experience it is not quite enough, even rationing it.
And most municipalities that treat and deliver city water, public water, 45 minutes into
A power outage they are not treating the water as they’re all on a computerized system
To dose the water with chemicals , etc.  so don’t drink any tap water 45 minutes after a
Power outage, it’ll be o.k. to say flush toilets with, but don’t drink it or use it in cooking.

This time of year they sell those BPA free plastic 5 to 7 gallon water jugs for camping,
Get X amount for your needs, fill them and store them away in a cool, dark dry place and
2-3 times a year, refill them.   I’m on a well so I rotate my stored water every 6 months.  I’ve
Done tests on it and it stored fine with being rotated every 6 months.   I don’t treat my stored
Water with a bit of bleach with 5.25  % hypochlorite in it because
The well water here is really good pure water.    If you do need to treat your water
DO NOT USE SCENTED BLEACH  -  use regular bleach with 5.25 % hypochlorite in it.  That
Kills any of the nasties that maybe in pubic water.   It also has to stand for 30 minutes
After you’ve treated it with bleach before drinking, using it.   Never use swimming pool
Bleach or a solid form of bleach, the solid form will not dissolve properly.

WATER PURIFICATION USING BLEACH:

Amount of water          clear looking water             cloudy looking water

1 Quart                          2 drops of bleach                  4 drops of bleach
1 Gallon                         8 drops of bleach                  16 drops of bleach
5 Gallons                       ½ teaspoon                             1  teaspoon

You can also in an emergency drink the water inside your hot water heater
But you must purify it first using the boiling method (15 minutes rapid boil)
Or the bleach method.  If the water in your hot water heater tank is cloudy
Or contains small particles, strain it through a coffee filter or several layers
Of clean cloth to remove any debris particles before you disinfect it.

I recommend those back packers, hiker’s water purifier bottles for each person
On a household.  You fill them up, tip / invert them and then turn back upwards
And the built in filter purifies the water if you don’t have a big sit on the counter
Gravity water filter like a Big-Berkey, or other similar brands.

FOOD FOR THE LONG TERM:

Store what you like to eat, and before you stock up on freeze dried food, try some
First, make sure before you put a lot of money into it, it’s palatable to everyone
Who’s going to be eating it.   You will have to store a bit more water to re-constitute
The freeze dried food and many people say that eating it for a few days, they get super
Constipated , that goes for people who eat MRE’s also, which plug them up real bad.

Many people make the mistake of buying cases of Ramen type noodles only to find
They go rancid, they’re coated with an oil and it’ll really make you sick.   In an emergency
Healthy adults need to go on rations to conserve their stored food.  2 meals a day.
Children and growing teens need to eat 3 meals a day, as with the very elderly or anyone
Who’s sick, do not put children, sick people, the elderly on rations.     If you store rice,
Buy long grain rice, it isn’t starchy, gummy as short or medium grain rice and keep in
Mind if you store brown rice, it has a natural oil in it that also will go rancid after 9 months.
Rice is the only legume that has a re-hydrating property in a person’s intestines, so that also
Will help people from dehydration.

If you buy any dried legumes in bulk, open immediately and re-package it up to make
Sure there are no bugs in the big bag that may have gotten in during shipping or in the
Food processing plant.    If you store dried milk, get the non-fat instant dry milk in the
One quart packages,  there’s 10 to a box, the foil lined packets help in keeping it good longer.
Instant oatmeal in bulk, flour, sugar, dried peas, lentils, barley, rice, pinto beans are all good
Long term food storage options, but you will have to cook it and also store more water for it.

A very real phenomena called “Appetite Exhaustion”  occurs when a person eats the
Same thing day in and day out over a period of weeks and the body will start rebelling
At the thought of “one more bowl of lentils…one more bowl of barley…” etc. etc. so
Stock some good dried spices to zip up your food.    Coffee, sugar, tea if stored properly
Last indefinitely, spices store for years also.    Then there’s dehydrating your own fruit,
Jerky, other vegetables like sliced tomatoes with a dash of salt as they’re drying, add variety
And add some culinary interest in your long term emergency food pantry.

Also, rotate your stored food, mark everything with the date when you store it so
You know how long it’s been in the pantry, eat what you store and replace it as you
Eat it, keep it constantly rotated.   It’s also important to keep your food storage area
Very clean and every 2 weeks, pull stuff out at random, check for any spider webs
On your shelves, under shelves, clean them immediately or any insects, even tiny
Spiders you might find inside a pantry.   
 FIRST AID:   

What I do for emergency wound cleaning, is I stock a lot of
Hydrogen peroxide for wound irrigating, it stores for a very long time
In a cool, dark dry place.   When you store band-aids  for a prolonged
Period of time, the adhesive will dry out and they won’t stick, check your
1st aid kit periodically and test open some band aids.   Don’t forget also
Good dental preps, floss especially.   

Inventory what you already have on hand, then make a list of anything
You may think will be useful in a long term emergency.   From hand tools
To shovels, axes, matches, candles, wind up radios, wind up flashlights,
Spare clothing, boots, socks, jackets, vegetable seeds for future planting seasons.
Prepping is a mind set and my old adage of

“better to have and not need then to Need and not have”

I still go by that.   And pets….stock up on pet food for your pets, I gauge the
Usage of everything, I write it down, then when I’m shopping, I know how many
Bags of something I need, to get me 12 months at a time.    If someone is thinking
Of prepping and doesn’t have a lot of money, there are ways to stock up  and if
People say they don’t have the space and those with basements, I envy you but in
A good way, there’s always places to put your preps out of site.    Another saying
I have is  “When you’re prepared, nothing happens and I like it like that!”

Hope this helps in some way, again, I didn’t see your thread earlier.
Be Prepared
Offline windyacres

2+2=4

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 02:19:48 AM »
decemberfellow, the above post didn't paste just right but
it's still pretty read-able.   Here's more on long term food, survival, etc.

Something that comes up quite often is "comfort foods"  a treat now and
then when you're eating a strict survival diet.  Hard candies store real well,
and simple syrups can be made at home also to drizzle over oatmeal, etc.

It's important to note that under stress, even emotional stress, the body
burns more calories, so I always stock vegetable oils to add to foods to
boost the calories.   Olive oil (extra virgin cold press in glass bottles) store
a very long time in the pantry.   If you pull a bottle out and it looks a bit
cloudy, it's perfectly fine, that happens when it gets a bit too cold.   Put the
bottle of olive oil in a warm place overnight and it will clear back up.   I've never
had a bottle of olive oil go rancid on me either.   It's also the only oil that doesn't
"flash" when a flame gets near it if it spills, tips over if you use oil burning lamps.

I won't barter any ammo, that's a dangerous thing to do, barter ammo with a
person who has none, that person needs ammo, then they load their firearm
with the ammo you just bartered with and shoot you dead and take all your preps.
I've always told myself, in a long term survival type emergency, a bar of soap
is going to look pretty good to people after they've gone a few weeks with no
bathing....   Oh, and make sure you have a good knife sharpener, or a wet stone
and a can opener that doesn't require electricity to work.   Think off the grid type
items for your day to day cooking, heating, lighting, tasks, etc.   I don't want to
live like they did in the 1850's but if I need to I will and can.
Be Prepared
Offline windyacres

2+2=4

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 02:24:05 AM »
I'm reading the replies now and one thing about wheat -
people are not used to pure, whole wheat and it can have
quite an effect 1-2 days later on people, it's best to slowly
introduce pure wheat into a diet so it doesn't
blast through you.

I grind my own wheat using
a hand grain grinder and here's the yield you get with wheat kernels.

One cup of wheat kernels run through a grain grinder TWICE
yields 2 cups of fine consistency  wheat flour.

You need to grind it twice to get it to a completely fine consistency.

Be Prepared
Offline windyacres

2+2=4

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 02:28:45 AM »
donnay posted a good list of 1st aid supplies, which reminded me
of a preppers best place to shop for certain 1st aid things is a very
stocked  "Feed store"   where you go for farm and ranch supplies.
they have a lot of good stuff to add to your emergency 1st aid kit.
Stroll through a farm and ranch feed store and look at what's on the
shelves, and in the book

"Where there is no Doctor"

those doctors in
3rd world countries use cattle, animal antibiotics on humans and it
works, at the feed stores, you can buy all kinds of antibiotics that also
work on people, and the syringes and needles to draw it out of the bottle
for oral use on people.   You don't need a license or anything, and at the
feed stores they also have prepping items you can't find anywhere else.
It's worth the time to browse through one.   If someone's in a big city,
take the drive to a country area where they have a big feed store.
Be Prepared
Offline windyacres

2+2=4

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 02:32:04 AM »
When I store cooking oil other than olive oil, I always
transfer it into glass bottles.  You can stretch out the shelf life
using pure glass bottles.
Be Prepared
Offline windyacres

2+2=4

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 02:35:52 AM »
Another source of wood for heating with a wood stove
is pallets, wood pallets.  I use those for kindling, the slat parts
of a pallet then the ribs on the pallets, the 2x4 parts, cut those
up, often pallets are oak and the ribs make for a good hot fire.
Pallets are free for the taking if you ask places where they're stacked up
behind stores, businesses, just don't use any pallets that are painted or
have bad oil stains on them, the oil combusts  in your wood stove.
Be Prepared
Offline windyacres

2+2=4

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 04:32:07 AM »
I have a lot more to add to this thread.  And yes you
can store regular flour just fine for a long time.

What I'd like to add to this thread is :

Toiletries

Preps for Women

Children

Long term food storage that's easy and proven

Over the counter and RX medicines

Repair Supplies

Books that will come in useful

Vegetable Gardening and seed saving

Why you need to stay gray and keep your preps quiet

The Psychologicals one may face

When one spouse is not on board with prepping

Personal and home protection

And the all important "Prepper Pirates"
as they now call themselves, the people
who will do nothing to prepare
but they will pack up like feral dogs
and try and take yours.  The ravaging hoards like this guy -

Be Prepared

Re: I need survival help - Started by decemberfellow at PPF
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2016, 12:33:56 am »

WindyAcres

• Awakened
Offline jofortruth

The Great Deception

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 07:45:36 AM »
Lots of tips on Getting Prepared (many different subjects):

http://z4.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Deception/index.php?s=772294992b5a21a04571dc4657ab7340&showforum=103

---------------

Offline windyacres

2+2=4

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2015, 02:04:02 AM »
BASIC TOOLS AND REPAIR SUPPLIES:

For the reader, remember that you may not have electricity so
have a good array of hand carpentry and other repair supplies.

HAMMER
CLAW HAMMER
HAND SAWS
HACKSAW
PRYBAR
TIRE IRON (use as a big prybar)
AXE
HATCHET
SHARPENING STONES
SCREWDRIVER SET, FLAT SLOT AND PHILLIPS
NAILS (DIFFERENT SIZES)
SCREWS (WOOD SCREWS ALSO)
SHOVELS
GASOLINE STORAGE CANS
DUCT TAPE
ELECTRICAL TAPE
WIRE NUTS
PURE SILICONE
CAULK
6 MIL PLASTIC (ROLL)
STAPLE GUN
3/8 AND 1/2 INCH STAPLES (FEW BOXES OF EACH)
BEEFY CHAINS
COME-A-LONG (2-3 )
WHEELBARROW
MOVING DOLLY
CHAINSAW (WITH EXTRA CHAIN)
SLEDGEHAMMER - BIG AND SMALL ONE
TOILET PLUNGER
MOP RINGER BUCKET (Makes for a good way to wring wet clothes out)
5 GALLON BUCKETS - CLEAN ONES
HEFTY GARBAGE BAGS -  CONTRACTORS TYPE THICK ONES
ROPE
CORD
UTILITY KNIFE AND SPARE BLADES (RAZOR KNIFE)

Basically "off the grid"  hand tools to do basic repairs if needed
or to help someone out for a barter opportunity on your part.
And not only is a toilet plunger good for un-clogging toilets,
if you get a new toilet plunger, keep it separate, it makes for a good
way to plunge your dirty clothes to wash them in a 5 gallon bucket.

Yeah, prepping isn't always so glamorous but in actuality if something
does go bad, goes wrong, at least you have the options and the know-how.

If you live in an apartment or Condominium,  I'd still have some basic
hand tools, even a shovel, you never know if you might have to bury your pet
due to old age.  Customize your preps for what you need in your specific
location, housing and skill set.  If you need to "tool up on your skill sets" , now is a good time to learn new skills.

Original thread link at PPF -

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=174043.0

Be Prepared